Thursday, June 24, 2010

My daughtor has just been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. For treatment would you go to Cancer treatment of

My daughtor has just been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. For treatment would you go to Cancer treatment of
America or Arkansas Cancer Treatment Center in Little Rock, Arkansas? We really know nothing about either except a few people have mentioned both.
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Go to cancer.org, The American Cancer Society's web site and see what they recommend.
2 :
Winthrop Cancer Institute? http://www.acrc.uams.edu/ I have heard nice things about Cancer Treatment of America, but as far as cutting edge research and great science, I'd think it would be tough to beat the University connections. You might also look into St. Jude's in Memphis? Not that far. Most pediatric cancer care is done on an outpatient basis anyways, so it might not mean she needs to stay in Memphis, except for visits, etc. You have researched multiple myeloma on the web and looked for support organizations? Just my two cents... best of luck!
3 :
I know nothing about either of those centers but if you are willing to go to Little Rock then why not go a little further and go to St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis Tennessee. They are the top leading hospital for children with cancer and they put families in places similar to apartments etc for free. They even give the families meal tickets to eat at the hospital free. They have the most advanced treatment in cancer involving children in the United States. I will provide you a link. I know I did not answer your question about the two other facilities you are looking at but if it were my child then I would not even think twice.... I would be at St. Jude in a heartbeat.All patients accepted for treatment at St. Jude are treated without regard to the family's ability to pay.If you live more than 35 miles from Memphis, your stay will be arranged at one of the St. Jude-sponsored lodging facilities for free. It is really a wonderful place and they treat your child like they would treat their own child. I have had a family member that had cancer and we could not have asked for more compassionate nurses or such great doctors who are very involved with the plan of care for your child. I am so sorry for you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers and I hope all turns out well.
4 :
From what I understand, the Arkansas Cancer Treatment Center in Little Rock is THE place to go for multiple myeloma. I've known 3 different people with it and based on all their research that is the place to be. But I dare not tell you that "for sure". Check it out, please. I wish her/you well.
5 :
There are a number of top-notch places for myeloma treatment: Arkansas, Dana Farber (Boston), MD Anderson (Houston), Mayo Clinic (Rochester). All are good; I have sent patients mostly to Arkansas or to Emory (Atlanta). Cancer Treatment Centers of America is NOT a top notch myeloma treatment center. God bless, best wishes



Read more discussions :