Saturday, December 24, 2011

Breast cancer treatment what was your experience in waiting time for diagnositic test & treatment

Breast cancer treatment what was your experience in waiting time for diagnositic test & treatment?
I have been through the fight this yr. Just courious about others experience in their area.
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I was blessed to be able to have the mammogram, ultrasound and needle biopsy all on the same day. It was the day before Memorial day weekend and my primary dr. doesn't work Tuesdays so the waiting for the results was horrible, even for 4 days. I couldn't sleep or eat. I can imagine for other people that have to wait days or weeks between diagnostic tests that it can be very stressful. I had surgery exactly one month after I was diagnosed and started chemo about one month later.
2 :
It seems right after I had my mammogram and they called me to come back for a second one, that everything after that went real fast. I had the biospy, surgery, and radiation. Now after a few months on Monday I'm going back to the radiologist for a follow up visit.
3 :
Went through it exactly 10 years ago. My experience was fine! I discovered a lump end of July, went to my doctor mid September (I waited to see if the lump grew). Next day I had a mammogram and immediately an ultrasound. The doctor who read the mammogram and did the ultrasound immediately recommended that I have a lumpectomy (rather than a needle biopsy). Saw a surgeon within 5 days. Had a lumpectomy on September 28. 4 days later I was told it was malignant and I needed another surgery. Second lumpectomy took place on October 10. Began radiation on October 25 for 6 weeks. Never had any problem with the radiation. Refused to have chemotherapy or take hormone replacement therapy. I trusted my body since it had warned me in time that I had cancer. Didn't want to mess up my internal clock. It has been ten years. I am still clear of cancer. Good luck
4 :
I went for my mammogram and the nurse came back in and showed me the spot. Took more pictures and did a ultra sound. A week later the needle biopsy. I waited 3 days for the result and it was cancer. A week later consult with the surgeon another 3 days the 2nd consult (he wanted to make sure I had time to digest what he told me). Partial mastectomy a week later. Now I am done with chemo (6 month later) and will start radiation. even though I think things moved rather quickly, every day of waiting is torture. Especially when you just been told you have cancer. These tests take time especially when they figure out what kind of cancer it is and the hormone receptors. I was told that for instance the Her2 test takes a long time because they literally watch it grow.




Read more discussions :