Saturday, December 20, 2008

If I have a minor cold, could I be around someone undergoing cancer treatment

If I have a minor cold, could I be around someone undergoing cancer treatment?
A friend of mine is going through cancer treatment and is having a large number of people over (at a restaurant) for lunch. I have a minor cold (mostly sniffles), could I go without having an impact on him? He is well enough to fly...
Cancer - 10 Answers
 


Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It depends on the treatment. I personally wouldn't risk it
2 :
I would avoid anyone currently in treatment. You could send a card, call during the lunch, whatever. Any infection can be life-threatening to a cancer patient.
3 :
The fact that you've now got the cold means that you're probably no longer infectious. Just don't get too close, to be on the sfe side, but you shoudl be fine. I'm sure seeing you, knowing you care, will have a far more benificial effect on them.
4 :
if your friend is having chemo it's best to avoid them but if its radiotherapy then you should be fine.
5 :
it depends on what type of treatment but if he is well enough to fly it would probably be okay i just wouldn't get too close.
6 :
Don't go! Your friend will probably be grateful that you are thinking of him and putting his health first. Cancer patients undergoing treatment usually have NO immune system, therefore any type of illness can be life threatening.
7 :
It's not a good idea. Then again neither is flying while going through chemo. In my opinion he is more at risk of germs from flying than from being around you as long as you don't get too close.
8 :
When my mom was sick with cancer she caught a cold (probably from so many visitors). I don't think it ever fully went away, she died 2 months later. Cancer patients have a low immunity to fight bugs so if you really want to go, wear a mask. I'm sure people would understand and respect you more.
9 :
Although it would be nice to be with your friend, you should probably avoid being near him until your cold goes away. People who have cancer have suppressed immune systems, so they're more prone to catching germs and with potentially serious consequences.
10 :
Yes, you could be around them. If your friend is able to fly and be at a public restaurant, then it is o.k. for you to go. Flying and being in public already exposes your friend to all the germs-- and then some-- that you could possibly share with him. Just be sure to not sneeze or cough close to him.



Read more discussions :