Thursday, April 28, 2011

Where are the top sites in the US for thyroid cancer evaluation and treatment

Where are the top sites in the US for thyroid cancer evaluation and treatment?
Female, 62 years, on Synthroid for 20+ years after thyroid stopped functioning. Recent ultrasound shows two solid nodules (under 2 cm, one in each lobe) and a 3rd nodule "in the upper pole." Thyroglobulin blood test abnormal. Hoarse voice. Had thyroid scan today. Internist felt growth 3 wks ago which prompted ultrasound. Internist suggests biopsies next at area diagnostic center. Earliest date available Oct. 10. Is this good advice or should I seek endocrinologist exam now? Am a 6 year uterine cancer survivor at an excellent, regional cancer center, which does very little with thyroid cancer. What are the top centers for thyroid cancer? What would you recommend doing in my situation?
Cancer - 3 Answers



Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I have a great article on Cancer Breakthroughs. Email me your email address so I can attach the article and send it to you. It is excellent!!!
2 :
I had tumors on my thyroid and had it removed when I was seven years old. I would definitely talk to an endocrinologist, if I were you. No matter whether the advice you were given was good or not, the endocrinologist will know what is best for you. Baylor in Dallas is an excellent hospital. They've done all of my thyroid related surgeries.
3 :
I would go for the biopsy and make an appointment with an endocrinologist at the same time. An endocrinologist would almost certainly recommend a biopsy as the next step so you might as well get that done sooner than later. Endocrinologists tend to be busy (since they also deal with diabetes) so often it can take a few weeks or sometimes even months to get an appointment. I'm sure you're panicking but try to remember it's very unlikely you have thyroid cancer. Nodules are very common and 95% of the time they are not cancer. I was one of the unlucky 5% that ended up with thyroid cancer (at age 33), but 1.5 years later I seem to be just fine. I live in Boston and my surgeon specializes in endocrine surgery, that's the most important thing to look for. I included a link below that includes helpful info on how to find the best doctor (scroll to the bottom of the page).




Read more discussions :