Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What is the treatment for early stage cervical cancer

What is the treatment for early stage cervical cancer?
I had an abnormal pap smear and my doctor is having me wait six months to have another one done. If the next one is positive, I may have early stage cervical cancer. What treatments do they do in the early stages?
Women's Health - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
complete removal of the cancer, which is easy and safe
2 :
Hold on. EVERY woman has at least one abnormal pap in their life. If they thought it was cervical cancer, they would have tested and found it. Obviously they don't suspect it or didn't find it. If you aren't happy with that, then find another doctor and get tested again. You can always get a second opinion.
3 :
They do what is called cryosurgery - first they apply an acid (like vinegar) to the cervix to check for abnormal cells, and then remove the cells by freezing them off. Also called a culposcopy. I'm surprised your doctor is not doing at least the biopsy (vinegar) to check for abnormal cells (called cervical dysplasia). A positive pap does not necessarily mean that you have cancer. It means that abnormal cells have been detected. Cervical Dysplasia is the earliest precurser to cervical cancer, but it's not cancer. When it's caught and treated, you don't progress into cancer. I had grade 1 cervical dysplasia in the 1980's and had the cryosurgery. I've had negative pap smears ever since.
4 :
Years ago I had cauterization of the cervix for abnormal cells.



Read more discussions :