Friday, October 24, 2008

How do I help my sister get through her breast cancer treatment

How do I help my sister get through her breast cancer treatment ?
My sister was recently told she has breast cancer. I am her big brother and not sure how to help get through this ordeal. I am so afraid of losing her. But I want to be supportive and not bring her down. What can I do?
Cancer - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
just be there for her. if she needs something or needs to talk be there . in the meantime you are gonna need someone to talk to you yourself so you can be a good support for your sister............................good luck! e mail me if you want. I had a 3 yr old with cancer terrinjohn89@adelphia.net
2 :
Try to not bring it up, but when SHE does just tell her that you're there for her and let her now you're there all the way. Other then that, there is nothing else you can do. Physically, you can help her with daily tasks, like cleaning, etc... because the treatment she will recieve will more than likely weaken her. So just talk to her. Keep her mind off of it, and just love her like you always have. Having cancer is not a death sentence. Its a good chance she will be ok, remind her. Good luck to you and your sister.
3 :
First off, I'm very sorry for your sister's cancer. The waiting period is often difficult for a cancer patient, so listening to them, and sharing their pain can sometimes help. I also heard zoo therapy is good (bringing an animal boosts their feel-good hormones).I know you're afraid, but try and be hopeful, there are many people surviving the disease and your sister will be one of those too. I wish you both the best, God bless, -Sarah-
4 :
Clean her house, mow her lawn, buy her groceries, cook her meals, babysit for her....basically treat her like a queen! She needs all the support she can get AND she'll love you for it!
5 :
Offer to take her to appointments. Often times a sister needs her brother to talk to her and visit with her as he always has before. If you show her that you are positive that she'll pull through this then she will believe it herself. Remember that because she has cancer doesn't mean that she is a different person now. Best of luck to you, your sister and the rest of your family.
6 :
Just be there with her. The treatments can make her tired and sometimes sick. She just needs to know that you will be there for her, whether she is sad or happy. she needs to be able to talk to you and know when you are looking at her, that you don't feel sorry for her. Treat her the same as you always have. She will have good days and bad ones, but she has to know she can count on you. My very best to you and your sister.



Read more discussions :