Saturday, November 12, 2011

Why do people freak when I say if I get colon cancer im most likely going to refuse treatment

Why do people freak when I say if I get colon cancer im most likely going to refuse treatment?
I have UC and a history of colon cancer in my family. After seeing what they went through I don't feel its worth spending my life savings just to go through that mess. My family says they understand my wishes. Is there anyway I can make sure nobody forces me to get treatment?
Cancer - 6 Answers



Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
As long as you are of sound mind. No one can force treatment on you. Just to make sure you could write it out and have it notarized and filed with your attorney like right now. So they could not say the mental anguish of the cancer is clouding his judgment. I am with you though. If I have like a 10% of living. Why put my self and family through it. But when the time comes, the will to live is pretty strong.
2 :
As long as your are classed as mentally stable then no one can force treat you, if you are classed as mentally unstable and someone tells hospitals and doctors they can treat you. best thing to do is make it clear from the start, or even write a note or letter and put it somewhere safe with all the information on it. that may help.
3 :
you write up a living will you tell your doctor and let them tell you what to do
4 :
we don't know what we are going to dai from. so don't be negative don't give up from the start. even saying it is said to have an influence. If you are living a healthy life now, as you should, the quality of your life, which you will live anyway, will be better and then you may live a long life and have all the fun you wanted to have, and then you may also dai cuz of another illness, who knows?? talking about this issue doesn't help. so chose between happy life and a miserable one, after all you are free and no body can force you.
5 :
If you are a competent adult, they cannot do it. Even if you are not an adult, you can of course refuse to go to the doctor. I suffered from UC for a number of years. I had my colon removed because I was not responding to medication, and was on a downward spiral. Even though I had my colon removed, there is about 1" left that connects the small intestine to my anus (I do not have an ostomy-the doctor did what is called a j pouch). I still get that regularly checked, because I know I am at a higher risk for colon cancer than others. It's worth it as 'preventive maintenance.' You should have regular colonoscopies, and because of your disease and family history, you should get them much more frequently than others. You should be going to a gastroenterologist, and that doctor should be a member of the CCFA-if not, find another. Focus on early detection, and you have a LOT more options. Good luck.
6 :
IĆ¢€™m not sure why you think anyone could force you into treatment, but I also do not understand why you would rather wait for the tumor to perforate the colon and die of septic shock. That would be a long and painful death, not the way I want to go.



Read more discussions :