Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What length of hair is suitable to donate to be made into a wig for a child undergoing treatment for cancer

What length of hair is suitable to donate to be made into a wig for a child undergoing treatment for cancer?
I'm cutting my 3-yr-old daughter's hair for the first time. How long should I make the clippings to be suitable for donation? It's very fine, and I think I can easily cut 6". I'm cutting my 3-yr-old daughter's hair for the first time. How long should I make the clippings to be suitable for donation? It's very fine and straight. I think I can easily cut 6". Locks for Love just says it wants 10-12" as a donation and will take 6-10" to be sold to raise money to offset manufacturing costs. That looks like a one size fits all requirment. Is there any special consideration that this hair will be from a 3-year old?
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Locks of Love will accept hair donations that measure between 6 and 10 inches in length. You can read other guidelines at their website listed below. EDIT: Try calling their human resources or customer service department to speak to a representative. They may be able to help you with this particular question. They may have special rules for "young hair" being donated for young patients. If there is nothing mentioned about it on the website, a policy may not exist, but the only way for sure is to give them a ring!
2 :
I'm not positive but I think the 'Locks of love' lengths are a minimum of 8 inches. Try doing a search for them. I feel sure they will have the info. It's great that you want to do that for someone.
3 :
That should be fine, but any additional length would be all the better. The last time I did that, I wound up with a guy's haircut, but I got to donate around 14 inches in length. It was really cool. (Not the haircut, the donating. Hair grows back for those of us fortunate enough to be healthy.) Good luck.
4 :
Locks of Love wants the hair to be put in a pony tail and then cut it. It would need to be atleast 12" to donate. I have leukemia and now that my hair is coming back I am going to try to let it grow in length to donate, its been 27 yrs. since I had long hair and I don't know if I will be able to stand it. The hair also cannot be colored with hair color and yes they do take gray hair. A friend at church donated 33" of her blond and gray hair and is letting it grown for another donation.
5 :
The general public is confused about Locks of Love. They make very few wigs for children with cancer (less than 10 percent). The reason is that children with cancer lose their hair from chemotherapy, which is a temporary loss. Locks of Love predominately makes wigs for children with permanent hair loss (alopecia is a condition. it is not cancer). Please read their website as it explains WHO will get a wig. If it does not matter to you how they use the hair you donate than that's okay, but if you believe you are honoring cancer patients or doing something for a child with cancer . . you are not. If you want to donate hair for children who have lost hair from cancer treatments, the only charitable organization that will do this is Wigs for Kids: http://www.wigsforkids.org/ They require a minimum of 12 inches.



Read more discussions :