Friday, October 28, 2011

I am looking for a hat that you use during cancer treatment to prevent hair loss

I am looking for a hat that you use during cancer treatment to prevent hair loss?
It is a cap or hat that you put on during the treatment; it is not a hat to cover my head. Someone told me that it was on a medical show but she does not remember the name. It is not a hat to cover my head it is medical thank you
Cancer - 6 Answers
 


Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I am not sure I understand your question. You are looking for a hat, while you are in cancer treatment? loosing your hair, will depend on the treatment you are taking, QUIMOTERAPHY is the one that makes you loose your hair during treatment, altough, when you finish it, it will grow back. Radiation or Surgery will not make your hair fall. So if you are under treatment and you are loosing hair, I think the type of hat or cap depends on you taste. I hope is useful.
2 :
There is no hat that I know of to prevent hair loss during chemo treatment but pull-over ski caps look nice and are warm. You might also try a wig if you are so inclined. Good luck on your treatment.
3 :
i this the large brimmed hats you work very well. heres an example: there is a hat a JCPenny callled a "beach floppy hat" it is really cute and it is only $24. It comes in black, natural, lime green, pink, watermelon, and white Hope this helps!
4 :
Nothing I know of will prevent the loss but look for the turban tops like you wrap a towel over your hair. They come in assorted colors. Look in Walgreens, Walmart, or Kmart. Any body else know where to look? I just was told Eckerds drugstores. I have a friend who has lost her hair and I told her I would shave my hair if she would feel more comfortable having a bald friend to hang out with.
5 :
I was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma bone cancer 25 years ago. I did 2 years of chemo & 6 weeks of radiation. Back then the hat you are talking about was called an ice cap. My doctor was a jerk and when I asked him about it he said I couldn't use it because they wanted the chemo to go everywhere in the body. I'm not sure if they still have or use these ice caps. I have no idea where to find them or if they are still call them ice caps. I did not get to use one and was bald for two years. It really wasn't all that bad.
6 :
NO NO NO! Do not use such a cap. Studies have shown that using these caps increases the risk that your cancer will spread to the brain. That is why you cannot find these anymore. The theory is that it contracts the blood vessels and the chemotherapy drug cannot reach your skull. I don't think they work for hair loss anyway. Hair loss is not immediate, it happens days even weeks after treatment.



Read more discussions :