Friday, November 20, 2009

Why is chemo used first for cancer treatment these days

Why is chemo used first for cancer treatment these days?
My mom has had breast cancer 4 times and has never had to go thru chemo. I'm sure it's just the god-awful Florida Medical Profession. If I ever get cancer, I'm heading straight for Sloane Kettering Memorial in Manhattan NY
Cancer - 5 Answers
 

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Chemo is not always used first for cancer treatment these days. There are many other forms of treatment that can be used too such as radiotherapy, monoclonal antibody treatment, hormone treatment and other biological treatments. All the best
2 :
Chemo is one treatment option for cancer. Depending on the pathology report, scans and laboratory results, the team of physicians will develop a plan that will give the best outcome. Some cancers respond better to radiation, some to surgery and some to chemo or a combination. Some patients have other health issues and may not be a candidate for chemo.
3 :
It's not. It really depends on how much of it there is at the time of surgery. Sometimes even surgery isn't needed; the patient gets radiotherapy, or takes chemo in the form of pills. It's normally used on aggressive cancers, or cancer in late stages. In late stages, there are usually more than one place the tumors are at.
4 :
chemo in most cases are used to weaken the tumor so that radiation will be most effective. In breast cancer, if the tumor has not invaded outside the membrane..no chemo or radiotion has to be used.
5 :
I think I might be able to answer this question in people terms. Ok cancer is cells that have gone off track and multiply at a high speed. Taking over the area or system that it is attacking. Chemo kills the bad cells as well as the good cells. Than they have to rebuild your good cells and the amune system is dammaged by the chemo. After chemo they then use radiation to finish killing the bad cells in limited areas. Where it they use just radiation the bad cells are harder to kill. I learned this the hard way after surgery I got a bug in a blood transfusion during surgery that was not able to be killed by antibiotics. So since I had to have chemo any way I asked if the chemo drugs would kill the bad cells in my blood as well as the good cells. The imunologest said it would but that it was dangerous I felt I had nothing to loose If I did nothing I would die. So they started me on cytoxin first and it killed the bad cells that were about to kill me as well as 9 other guys. Who came home from cleaning up after Sadams chymicals and they had all got sick and they had tryed all antibiotics two had already died from the bug. Any way it worked so they used it on the rest and they made it. So Killing the bad cells is very important to fight cancer and some typs of chemical poisining. Some times they use pill forms of chemo as well as the Iv types. Usually they use tomixifin pills after lumpectomys for 5 years.




Read more discussions :