Thursday, October 8, 2009

What's the best way to quit smoking right before/during cancer treatment

What's the best way to quit smoking right before/during cancer treatment?
I was recently diagnosed with hodgkins lymphoma and sometime in the near future I'll be meeting with an oncologist and starting treatment. I want to quit smoking to help my situation, but I don't know the best way to go about it. Quitting cold turkey would obviously be a good idea, but I honestly don't think I'm capable of doing that. I've used patches successfully before, but it took a matter of months to quit that way. I'm not very familiar with nicotine gum, prescription stop-smoking aids, or anything else that may be out there. I'd like to quit a.s.a.p. to avoid becoming sicker during treatment. I'm also concerned about interactions between a stop-smoking aid and chemo/radiation therapy, if my method of quitting did need to take place while I was being treated. Any suggestions or info would mean a lot...
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Chantix worked well for me, but check about interactions. Your doctor will know if you can take it along with chemo. I quit after a week on them, and haven't had one since. Best of luck to you with your treatment, my father was diagnosed with Stage 4b Hodgkins 1 1/2 years ago, and has been in remission after 6 months of treatments.
2 :
Sorry to hear your bad news Start believing in your self. What ever you believe about your self you are right If you believe you cant, you cant but start believing you can and just do it. I believed I cant so I could not, and then I decided my live is worth more than smoking. I start believing I can, and I stopped 5 months ago. And no, its not easy. But every time I want one I think of how valuable I am and all those people around me. And I tell my self every day if I take on Drag I will need to stop smoking all over again and that means I will just end up going throe every thing again. My 1st day went something like this, If I can do one hour I can do 2. 1 day I can do 2 now I'm on I can do 5Months I can do 10 Snack food that I enjoy helps a lot, stay busy, don't worry about picking up wait. Its easier to lose that extra pounds than get your life back. All my luck and best wishes to you. I'm not going to lie to you...It is a hard road
3 :
Ask the oncologist office what they would suggest..here are some links on Hodgkins and some books for info...Stay AHEAD of any nausea with the anti-nausea pills (if given to you). Once you are nauseous, you won't even want to look at a pill. Adult Hodgkins http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_1X_What_is_Hodgkins_disease_20.asp http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/CRI_2_3x.asp?rnav=cridg&dt=20 http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/hodgkinslymphoma http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=7085 http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=8312 http://www.nci.nih.gov/cancertopics/types/hodgkinslymphoma 3 books on disease symptoms and treatments you could also get these books on ebay or amazon or a half price book store. (last two are very similar).. 1.Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine 2.Handbook of Diseases (Lippencott) 3.Professional Guide to Diseases (Springhouse)
4 :
Chantix worked amazingly well for me. I quit before my quit date. I really believe it to be a miracle drug. Of course, check with your doctors for interactions first. You may want to try it even if you can only take it for a short time. It's recommended that it be taken for 3 months. This could interfere with your upcoming procedures and medication. If that's the case, see if you can take it for one month. If you can't use this, my second best recommendation is the patch. It will eliminate most of the physical cravings, although not much for the mental part. It will work if you really want to quit. Best wishes with your treatments. Always talk to your doctor first, before trying anything, even the OTC stop smoking aids.
5 :
I wish you the best of luck with you treatments!! I think kicking the habit will be a wise decision for you in the end!! I was a smoker of 20+ years and a health care provider. I tried quiting a few times, just to find myself at the mercy of Virginia Slims.... After a price hike was approved here in Colorado I decided I wanted the money more than the cigs, so I contacted my doctor who prescirbed Nicotrol Inhaler for me. It is an inhaler loaded with nicotine (not all the chemicals that are put into the tobacco to keep you addicted). Everytime I had a craving I took a puff off of the inhaler and the craving was gone. I have been cigarette free for almost three years now!! Good luck!!!



Read more discussions :