Thursday, September 24, 2009

Would any recommend Medical Marijuana for cancer treatment

Would any recommend Medical Marijuana for cancer treatment?
My best friend just died of Brain cancer. He used medical marijuana for the pain and nausea. I witnessed it work wonders for him. I am unsure why so many are against it. I seen it help him die in much less pain than if he did not have it. I am curious why anyone would be against something that helps terminally ill people die in less pain? Why would it concern anyone enough to keep it away from those that need it and will die a more horrible death without it?
Cancer - 12 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
My mom has bone and liver cancer which did metasis from breast cancer she had last year. Right now as we speak she's drugged up with pain killers her dr gave her because the chemo she did last friday is very strong and her bones hurt. Eventhough her dr gave her a good prognosis I still would do anything not to see my mom feeling so bad as she is right now and if that required giving her marijuana for all means. My mom is first! =) Sorry to hear about your bestfriend!
2 :
I see no problem with this type of treatment. Anything to ease a terminally ill persons pain and discomfort should be accessible. People going through chemo and radiation should be allowed marijuana for the nausea. How are these people supposed to fight their cancer when they are weak because they cannot keep food down. The meds they give them for nausea don't work all that well. Years ago when a friend of mine was dying of cancer he used pot (illegally) and swore it was the only thing that kept him going.
3 :
It's one thing to smoke a joint because you want to act dumb and another completely to use it because of medical reasons. My aunt died 1 year ago due to brain cancer, and her husband had to sneak out to ugly parts of town to go get them for her. It helped her, a lot. I don't like the idea of sneaking out to get something that might help a patient find comfort, and do something that is aginst the law. Maybe you'd want to call the American Cancer Society 1-800-227-2345 or National Cancer Institute at 1-800-4-CANCER and find out what they recommend.
4 :
If Pfizer had spent 50 million dollars researching and developing marijuana in a lab, then had spent another million on television commercials telling you "go see your doctor, and ask for a prescription for marijuana today", then most likely people would be rushing out for a joint right now. The pharmaceutical lobby probably is one reason why it will always be illegal. Marijuana can be abused like any other drug, but the reason it's illegal is because it is cheap and works well in some situations and the pharmaceutical companies can't profit off it. Plus, there is no comparison between the negative side-effects of marijuana and those of designer drugs. If you listen to the commercials, designer drugs that are used for trivial ailments like heart burn can cause anything from heart attack and stroke to diarrhea. Commercials for designer drugs actually list many more disadvantages than they do advantages.
5 :
I would. I smoked it when I was on chemo/radiation. I had lost so much weight because I could not eat. If I did eat, I threw it up. I was constantly nauseous and in pain. When I smoked weed, I could eat and keep it down. I had tried various prescriptions but they did not work nearly as well as the marijuana. I am all for legalizing pot entirely, but especially for medical reasons. Anyone who has been miserable from chemo/radiation can appreciate that.
6 :
i'm all for it.
7 :
I don't agree with smoking marijuana to get high but when I was going through very agressive chemo in 2003 I had it a couple of times, once in a 'bong' & once as tea, apart from totally 'monging out' pmsl it got rid of my sickness for a while & was a good pain relief, (it was the only time in 6 months of chemo that I laughed, & couldn't stop) I reckon you should be able to get it on prescription under certain circumstances
8 :
My son has/had cancer and a bone marrow transplant. He did not eat well and was very nauseous. He was prescribed marijunana in a pill form (marinol) and it did help him, though he'd get kind of spacey, get the munchies, and giggle a lot. It was kind of strange giving a 4 year old drugs like that, but it was definately worth it to see my son do so much better. He isn't terminal (hopefully) so it isn't only used on final stage patients. It was very well protected at the hospital and pharmacy, but I was so glad to have it as an option for him and didn't mind jumping through all of the hoops!
9 :
my dad passed away in May with lung cancer..... i had no problems going to collect a joint from a cousin of mine and taking it to my dad.....it certainly helped him relax more, and we all had a giggle about me being his 'drug pusher'....his wife was spraying the house for days after with room freshener...she was worried sick his GP might smell it when he visited! I think if it helps a person who is terminally ill then why not! who is anyone else to deny a dying person something that may make things just a little easier!
10 :
Since I do not smoke I myself would not use it however my aunt was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at a very young age. She used it when she was in the final stages of her cancer to relieve the pain. Now grant you this was in 1983 or around that time. Also my grand father used it as well for treatment of his glaucoma as well as other health issues. He did this in the 1980's as well. If it helps and is being used for just that a true medical reason.. I dont feel it is wrong to use it however it is is being used by teens or anyone that just wants to get "HIGH" I feel it is wrong... The pain for various diseases today can be bad.. but there are also medications created to help that pain when they no longer work and the marijuana works.. i do not fault anyone for trying it for a medical purpose..
11 :
I would especially to help sleep through the night that is the biggest problem with being in pain you simply dont get any rest and marijuana helps with the pain level and causes most people to feel drowsy and makes it easier to get to that sleep level.
12 :
some doctors will give a prescription for medical marijuana, i myself don't think that there's anything wrong with it. it helps with nausea and also helps with appetite. if you have ever been through chemo you would know that everything that you eat taste awful, and you don't really have an appetite, the effects of marijuana is not as intense when you are on chemo. if there is a will all ways remember there is a way. some people continue to live in the 50's and will never change.




Read more discussions :