Thursday, October 4, 2012

My wife had cancer treatment in another state. Are our travel and living expenses while there tax deductible

My wife had cancer treatment in another state. Are our travel and living expenses while there tax deductible?

Cancer - 4 Answers
 


Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Assuming there are no changes to the tax laws in 2009, travel expenses that are necessary for medical treatments are tax deductible, provided that medical expenses, including mileage, lodging, and meals are large enough to meet the threshold.
2 :
Tax deductible only above 7.5% of your aggregate gross income. I had plenty of heath care cost last year but that threshold is high, I couldn't use it.
3 :
I am pretty sure we deducted my travel /living expense from taxes for my chemo and radiation therapy. Hope you and your wife are doing good now. God bless you.
4 :
check out the IRS publication link below. Max is correct, Medical deductions above 7.5% of your adjusted Gross Income can be deducted if you itemize on schedule A/B. You can include 19 cents per mile driving and lodging of up to $50 per person (the patient and one other companion). the lodging cannot be extravagent and there can be no combined pleasure of other business included in the trip. the treatment center must also be a licensed medical facility.



Read more discussions :