Monday, June 1, 2009

What milestones have you experienced after your cancer treatment was over

What milestones have you experienced after your cancer treatment was over?
Our first major hurdle happened Thanksgiving Day. The family was playing cards after dinner and my wife was shuffling cards. She was waiting to see if I noticed because she had not been able to because of nerve damage. We all celebrated! Now yours please!
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yay Dave's wife! I got my first mosquito bite in 5 years about 2 weeks ago. I was so excited. The chemo must finally be out of my bloodstream! Only other post chemo patients would understand how that could be good. by the time I got my 3rd bite, the excitement had worn off.....
2 :
My milestone was after a double mescetomy, chemo and radiation, was two years later to go back to work. That was awesome!
3 :
I always look forward to having lived another year! My mastectomy and reconstruction, chemo, and radiation were 13+ years ago. Several years after all this, I met a wonderful man - who is now my husband.
4 :
On Friday it will be 6 years since my diagnosis - that's one hell of a milestone! I so understand your wife's feelings. For a long time I walked downstairs crab-like, one stair at a time, always holding on. I initially put this down to my general fear of falling and risking lymphoedema - it was some time before I began to suspect my balance had been affected by chemo. I progressed to walking down stairs toddler-like and gradually to not relying heavily on the hand rail. I work with young children, and just last week I finally carried a baby downstairs! I did ask someone to walk ahead of me, but I did it! Don't know if I'll ever run downstairs like I used to. But my first major hurdle was actually looking at my body post-mastectomy; it took a long time, for the longest time I bathed wearing a T shirt and dressed and undressed with my eyes shut. One day I just thought what the hell and opened my eyes. Tarkarri, mosquitoes have always loved me, and chemo didn't put them off. I couldn't believe it - I had enough poison in my body to fell a horse, and they still bit me.



Read more discussions :