Thursday, January 8, 2009

should a person that went through cancer treatment get the swine flu vaccination shot

should a person that went through cancer treatment get the swine flu vaccination shot?
In our state a healthy young women died from the virus, so I need to know would it be wise for a former cancer patient 6 months ago get one? Would it be dangerous?
Cancer - 9 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Most of us cancer patients have compromised immune systems. I'm not getting one because I'm fearful of putting that into my system when I can do other things to attempt to avoid the swine flu rather than put a potential chemical agent into my system that might turn out to make me sick. I've had flu shots in the past before being diagnosed with cancer and I came down with the flu because of it. Not worth it in my book. I wash my hands regularly, use hand sanitizer, and use oust air sanitizer in the office. I wouldn't take the chance if I were you. I've only been in remission since April myself.
2 :
I was and still am immunocompromised but my doc recommended that I got it, deciding the pros outweighed the cons in my case. But then I live in the swine flu capital of the world. Best to ask the patient's dr for advice.
3 :
This is a good question to ask the doctor who treated you for cancer. Some cancer treatments do affect the immune system, either through the chemotherapy drugs which may affect rapidly dividing cells negatively, including the bone marrow cells that will eventually make white blood cells. And some cancers that are in cells that are immune cells are treated by killing the bone marrow cells. So, if these effects are still influencing the body, then a vaccination may not be effective. But I don't know that it would hurt the person. But it may not give the desired immunity. Asking the doctor is the only safe pathway here. For others, who may have been treated by other means or by chemotherapy agents that do not kill all rapidly dividing cells, the vaccination probably would not be a problem. White blood cells average life span is about 120 days. If the last treatment was at 180 days ago, then that would also mean that the body would be on a second round of white blood cells by that time. This should also reduce the effect. But this again is just the opinion of a layman. Ask the authority: the physician.
4 :
yes they are a risk so far swine flu only kills immune compromised person
5 :
My doctor told me i shouldn't get it because it will interfere with my chemo. Since i have cancer, i have to wear a mask when im not in the hospital or at home.
6 :
Hey Darling Dave! How's Becky Dear? My dr recommended it to me and also to my buddy Sam on here. As you know, we both have brain cancer and my chemo's been done for 4 months, however she's still on her treatments. It really would be wise to ask the doc just to be sure. Swine has been detrimental to pregnant women, people with underlying conditions, and especially children.
7 :
Any vaccine has a small chance of adverse reaction, but there is a bigger chance of complications if one gets the flu. You have to weigh risk vs benefit. Benefit: you don't get swine flu. Risk: miniscule chance of adverse reaction. I only see benefit, personally.
8 :
My oncologist says you should go get the shot. Definitely the patient is at high risk for complications from contracting H1N1. Chemotherapy trashes your immune system, and it takes time to recover. I got my shot on Saturday and my doctor was very pleased when I told her today. From your Center for Disease Control; Vaccine Priority Groups The CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), a panel made up of medical and public health experts, recommends several groups receive the H1N1 flu vaccine as soon as possible: Pregnant women and recently pregnant women because they are at higher risk of complications and can potentially provide protection to infants who cannot be vaccinated. Note that pregnant women should not receive the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) Household contacts and caregivers for children younger than 6 months of age because younger infants are at higher risk of influenza-related complications and cannot be vaccinated. Vaccination of those in close contact with infants less than 6 months old might help protect infants by “cocooning” them from the virus. Healthcare and emergency medical services personnel because infections among healthcare workers have been reported and this can be a potential source of infection for vulnerable patients. Also, increased absenteeism among healthcare professionals could reduce healthcare system capacity. All people from 6 months through 24 years of age Children from 6 months through 18 years of age because there have been many cases of H1N1 flu in children and they are in close contact with each other in school and day care settings, which increases the likelihood of disease spread. Young adults 19 through 24 years of age because there have been many cases of H1N1 flu in these healthy young adults and they often live, work, and study in close proximity, and they are a frequently mobile population. Persons aged 25 through 64 years who have health conditions associated with higher risk of medical complications from influenza. People at High Risk for Developing Flu-Related Complications * Children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old * Adults 65 years of age and older * Pregnant women People who have medical conditions including: * Asthma * Neurological and neurodevelopmental conditions [including disorders of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerve, and muscle such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy (seizure disorders), stroke, intellectual disability (mental retardation), moderate to severe developmental delay, muscular dystrophy, or spinal cord injury]. * Chronic lung disease (such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD] and cystic fibrosis) * Heart disease (such as congenital heart disease, congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease) * Blood disorders (such as sickle cell disease) * Endocrine disorders (such as diabetes mellitus) * Kidney disorders * Liver disorders * Metabolic disorders (such as inherited metabolic disorders and mitochondrial disorders) * Weakened immune system due to disease or medication (such as people with HIV or AIDS, or cancer, or those on chronic steroids) . .And FYI I get my flu shot every year and I never get a cold. Added benefit I think.
9 :
i would ask the doctor that questions. yes it doe s kill and its not the shot its the virus. so you know that. but i would simply ask sometimes they say no and i am not getting that one cause they say its more for kids and i will get the flu shot when it gets here but so far not in texas.



Read more discussions :