Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Why would you face go numb after the radioactive treatment for thyroid cancer

Why would you face go numb after the radioactive treatment for thyroid cancer?
My girlfriend just did the radioactive iodine treatment for her thyroid cancer and now about 5 days later her left side of her face has gone numb. She called her doctor and mad an appointment but that isnt for 2 days. What is going on and what can she do to make her face not be numb until she goes to the doctors because she is really freaking out.
Cancer - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I don't know if its the treatment or coincidence, but there's a nerve that runs through the opening in your jaw. If that swells for whatever reason, your face on that side will go numb. It's called Bell's Palsy. I had it years ago from a drafty window when I lived up north. I was on prednisone, which took the swelling away.
2 :
That's a strange thing to happen, I don't think it has anything to do with the RAI. Has she had any other symptoms? Usually people get headaches, sore jaw, swollen salivary glands (by jaw, below ears), nausea, and a few other things. I'm not sure if that's a side effect of the RAI, but have the doctor check everything out.




Read more discussions :