Saturday, December 4, 2010

Have you put off treatment to get pregnant when experiencing recurrent papillary thyroid cancer in lymph nodes

Have you put off treatment to get pregnant when experiencing recurrent papillary thyroid cancer in lymph nodes
I'm looking for new treatments other than RAI or surgery. I have been waiting a few years between fertility issues and cancer treatments to get pregnant 36 and the clock is ticking
Cancer - 3 Answers
 


Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Hi. I had papillary thyroid cancer also. I have not (yet) had a recurrence. I would like to invite you to come to the site I am on....the main organization is www.thyca.org it is for thyroid cancer survivors and has excellent info. the second is through the yahoo health groups, thyca. it is a question board that we go to, to discuss issues like this one. I have to say that from my readings, it seems as though surgery is the best way to remove the cancerous lymph nodes and perhaps then, with your endo's help and the right dose of synthroid to suppress more cancer growth you can have the baby and then go on and have the radiation later. some women in our group have been pregnant when they find out they have it, and nursed etx and then had the radiation. you have to not only think about having the baby, but being healthy enough to raise the child to adulthood. Without knowing more about your spread, etc, there isn't alot more info I can add, but I hope you will come visit us at the sites I have told you about. good luck and good health.
2 :
Yes I put off the RAI to get pregnant with my first child. I had papillary thyroid cancer but it had not spread to my lymph nodes. It was encapsulated in my thyroid gland. I had the surgery, total thyroidectomy. I kept my TSH suppressed to 0.1 and got pregnant about 3 months after trying. I was 28 at the time. After my first child was born, I had RAI when he was 7 months. We waited 1 year to try for baby #2 and got pregnant on our first try with baby #2. Both kids were born full term, totally healthy. I get their thyroids tested every year because I'm paranoid that my thyroid problems passed to my kids. But their thyroid tests come back normal. So you can put off RAI to have kids or have RAI and then have kids. But once you have RAI, you have to wait 6 months to 1 year to try to conceive. Just my opinion...since you're 36...Keep your TSH suppressed and if your thyroglobulin levels are little to nothing...postpone RAI and have a baby first. Good luck. regards, mari
3 :
I am going through the same thing that you are.  I have a reoccurance and we were going to plan on trying to have another baby.  I was absolutely crushed when I found out.  I had my ovulation date and everything.  I was ready to go.  I'm only 27, so I can't fully understand what you are feeling.  In my case I want to make sure that I am healthy for my daughter.  Going through this reoccurance was a real eye-opener.I'm still waiting to find out the extent of the reoccurance.  I've had all the tests and the results but we still have to go through surgery. I do plan on talking to my doctor about when I can have a baby after this new treatment.From what I've been reading and what I've learned.  I would have the surgery and get the lymphnodes out and then have a baby and after the baby is born do more RAI treatments or whatever they suggest.  I would discuss it with your doctor.  My doctor is very understanding of my desire to have another baby and is helping me do what is best. Best wishes for good health for you and many babies.



Read more discussions :