Sunday, June 8, 2008

Anyone knowledge of radiotherapy for cancer treatment

Anyone knowledge of radiotherapy for cancer treatment?
I have cancer and this all after my hysteroctomy and now have to go for radiotherapy/radiology for 5 days and for 5 weeks long. Don't know what to expect and the negative side of this treatment? Can anybody help me please?
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I am going to have to have radiotherapy soon, too - they told me what to expect, but I am having it on my neck, so some of it is going to be different (they told me it would hurt to swallow, but I'd assume you will have more side effects in the area of your bladder or stomach, etc.) They will take you one day and diagram on the computer exactly where the computer will aim the therapy - this part takes the longest - and they may write on you with markers - don't scrub that off! Then your daily therapy won't be long - like 20-30 minutes. You can expect to be very very tired, lethargic, maybe some muscle cramping, probably won't be too hungry. If you have some stomach side effects, you might have to eat bland foods or smoothies or stuff like that. The good news is, these side effects don't last - they go away pretty fast after the 5 weeks. Also, it CAN damage the skin - they told me that with my surgery my neck skin (because it's so soft) will probably look leathery and tough - like an old cowboy's skin. I was like "great! Well, I guess that's better than cancer..." So, anyway, Good luck, Get some movies and a warm blanket and some good books, cause you will probably be camped on the sofa a lot. My thoughts are with you.
2 :
Good luck to both of you. My friends who have had radiotherapy both were very tired all of the time. Once their 6 weeks of treatment was over though they were ok. One of them also got burnt. Her treatment was in the breast area and it looked like a bad case of sunburn. Over time it faded, but it was painful initially. They shouldn't burn you when they do it. It will redden though so don't be put off by that. You should also ask your doctor any questions that you have. They won't tell you anything unless you ask and if you ask they tell you whatever you want to know. If you don't ask they assume you know.
3 :
Get a big bottle of pure (100%) aloe vera gel. Slather it on several times per day. This helps prevent the reddening, burning, and sensitivity of the skin at the site of the radiation.
4 :
I've had radiation therapy twice, it really isn't a big deal. You will go in for a mapping session where they will decide exactly how much radiation will be delivered and to exactly what area. I had some very small tattoos done (like freckles) that the technicians used to position me. When I went in each day I was put into the correct position and then zapped once one way and then the machine rotated and I was zapped from a different angle. The positioning takes the most time - the zaps didn't last long. You do want to keep your skin in good condition - don't use any lotion before treatment, but carry some with you and use it right afterward. Your pharmacist can probably advise you but Aloe Vera (no alcohol) is good and I used Base Glaxal and had no skin problems. Talk to your radiation oncologist about any vitamins or supplements you are using. There were some my doc didn't want to me take during treatment-it might be different for you, but do inform your doctor. You may well have some fatigue, but probably not until you are into the 4th week or so and it is not awful. Plan ahead, have some meals stock-piled in the freezer and don't plan any big projects for those last couple weeks. For me the fatigue didn't last long after the treatment ended. That seems to be true for most people. Good luck but don't worry, radiation isn't that scary.



Read more discussions :